Re: Bicycles, trucks, trains

At 09:09 9/16/99 -0700, you wrote:
At 8:20 AM -0700 9/16/99, Laurent Hodges wrote:

I remember also their insistence that driving 65 mph was really more
energy-efficient (as well as time-efficient) than driving 55 mph....
The slowest (30-mph) truck was the most
energy-efficient, of course...

It is an evident extension of the silliness that gave us the "energy
crisis" of the seventies that even considering the operation of
transport trucks at 30 mph was undertaken.
... The outcome should have been evident before the test was
done; he could have asked a physicist!...
Leigh

Hmmm...I'd like to ask a physicist: what is the most energy-efficient
speed to run my subcompact car, I wonder?

5 mph
10 mph
20 mph
40 mph

Having gently throttled back a fishing boat from 32 mph, I recall
there comes a point at which the boat gracefully settles downwards,
there is a fresh wave and further process is distinctly slower.

One has thoughts like this when offering a tow to a driver of
a broken down power boat: the only sensible speed for such operations
is slow. One wishes he had produced a graph of throttle angle
(or better, fuel flow rate) versus speed.

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK