Re: Letters of Recommendation - Problems

Joel Rauber wrote:

The obvious question of what would happen if the court ordered you to write
a letter and it would have to be unfavorable; would you be in violation of
your conditions of employment? I am assuming that it is a condition of
employment that you not write unfavorable letters of recommendation. I'm
also assuming that it is a condition of employment that you do not lie on
letters written on "company" stationary; and that you behave in an ethical
manner.

Well, it would be neutral in form but would include only factual
material; no judgements about potential ability. It is very likely that
any statements of the type "his performance in my class indicates he
will have difficulty with ..." would get you in trouble with the court.
You would have to quote his grades, the class average, the highest and
lowest scores, and other documentable information only.

Personally, I'd question a school policy that requires you to only write
letters if they would be favorable; of course, this may be a way save time
on your workload . . . hmmmm

Some of us here think that our administration is rather shortsighted at
times. [Reference letter wording: Robert's attention to the immediate
consequences of his actions ensures that he does the best possible work
in the short term without worrying about future uncertainties.]

Joel Rauber

--
Maurice Barnhill, mvb@udel.edu
http://www.physics.udel.edu/~barnhill/