Re: Drafting in Bicycle Races

An additional comment--not an answer. From watching NASCAR racing and
listening to the commentary and observing the results, it would seem that
with the cars, that drafting helps BOTH cars. The situation is often thus:
Car A is in the lead by 20 car-lengths, Car B is second but is not gaining.
Then Car C comes up and drafts Car B and they both catch up to Car A.

I don't understand the physics of this either, but it must involve the
aerodynamics of the track and cars. It does seem that drafting is more
important at some tracks (longer, faster--maybe) than others.

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Department of Chemistry & Physics
Notre Dame, IN 46556
219-284-4664
rtarara@saintmarys.edu

FREE Physics Educational Software
Available for Download

see: www.saintmarys.edu/~rtarara/ for details

New Win9.x and PoweMac packages available.