Re: Letters of Recommendation - Problems

Leigh,
Can you share some of your interview questions?

I conduct the interviews free form. If the student is from
BC (most are) I ask him about his high school. I ask for a
resume if the student has one (most have). I ask personal
questions about family and volunteer activities (very
important for the healing arts and teacher training). The
interviews are not structured similarly. What I need to do
is to fine tune my opinions and prejudices, and to make as
strong a letter as I can for a really fine student.

By the way, teacher training is hard to get into in BC. We
pay teachers a decent salary, and we get many good people
going into teaching. I also write letters for dentistry,
medicine, scholarships, postgrad studies, and I've got to
write one for a Rhodes Scholar candidate this week.
Michael Edmiston is to be commended for taking this
business so seriously. It is a very important part of our
work. I did not know about that strategy before, and I
will be on the lookout for it now. Thanks, Michael.

Leigh