Re: Wave Question

On Sat, 11 Sep 1999, Leigh Palmer wrote:

Calculating from the amplitude is well-established. But I was pondering
where the "extra" energy came from, and this has also been answered
qualitatively --- by looking at the whole system, i.e. while the energy has
doubled at constructive points, the energy is lowered on other points. But
how do we prove it more convincingly, maybe mathematically?

The elegant way is to use physics, the law of conservation of energy.

If the emitters are within a half wavelength of each other, I think there
will be an apparent violation of COE. If one emitter transmits a
single-frequency wave, and the other emitter transmits an identical wave
of opposite phase, the result has too little net energy. But then, this
system resembles two plates of a capacitor, or two coils of a transformer.
When the second emitter is turned on, the emitters stop acting like
antennas, and the signal cannot "get out."

I've not sat down and worked it through, but I suspect that the same may
be true of emitters within resonant cavities. Depending on phase and
position, I think that a second emitter might be able to partially cancel
the net energy in the cavity, and force the first emitter to see a
different impedance, and so change the state of the system as a whole.
This less resembles "wave superpostion", and more resembles electron
orbitals in a single atom.

billb@eskimo.com http://www.amasci.com