From: crawford j maccallum <mccallum@UNM.EDU>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Monday, September 13, 1999 5:22 PM
Subject: Re: heat is a form of energy

On Sun, 12 Sep 1999, Leigh Palmer wrote:
The ultimate way to calculate the charge on a system is to apply
Gauss's law to a bounding surface. .......

I was away this summer and was embarassed to get into this thread late.
But it seems to be immortal, so may I venture a puzzlement that may not
have been addressed specifically?

If a nucleus absorbs a photon it gains energy and has a measurably
greater
rest mass. I always felt that the energy was now localized in the
nucleus, where it wasn't before the absorption. Although I agree with
everything Leigh says, I still find it hard to let go of this feeling.
If
the nucleus is replaced by a star, its mass can be measured by the
curvature of space on a bounding surface. Absorbing the photon changes
its mass and therefore the local curvature of space. It sort of seems
the energy is now "inside the bounding surface"?

Enlightenment, anyone? Crawford