Re: Electrostatics problem

Has anyone read the AJP article that made the argument that rotational
eq. is just a special case of translational eq.?

If so, then isn't this debate solved?

Peter Schoch
Sussex County Community College
pschoch@nac.net

Bob Sciamanda wrote:

Let me just point out that Tom's original question was whether this
problem was solvable on the grounds of translational equilibrium alone
(ie., not imposing rotational equilibrium). Michael's elegant solution
which forces the CM to be under the support point is really an imposition
of rotational equilibrium! My algebraic equations are restricted to
translational equilibrium conditions, and seem to be wanting (?)

Bob

Bob Sciamanda (W3NLV)
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (em)
trebor@velocity.net