Re: A bawl in a rotating dish (was Hot air rising ...)

Dear Robert,

I won't go into detail, but I think your first question (and
consequently your answer) are ill conceived. You are raising
the specter of the mysterious "centripetal force" (I know,
you said "component") again. If you don't think this confuses
students and high school teachers then you haven't been
teaching very long.

Clearly the winds feel the Centrifugal force in the same sense
that they feel the Coriolis force. *Both* forces are balanced
by dissipative forces if the wind is steady. You imply to the
naive reader that the evidence that the Coriolis force is felt
is that the winds *move* in response to it. You are being an
Aristotelean mechanic here. Forces produce *accelerations*.

Leigh