Re: heat is a form of energy

At 10:49 AM -0700 9/9/99, David Bowman wrote what I regard as
being fallacious arguments against my claims, but I stand by
those claims knowing that I can't convince him of his errors.

Treating the energy as being substantial is the great cognitive
block to the student's later understanding of the entropy.

I think *any* concept of energy--substantial or not, ought not influence
one's concept of entropy, which, at base, has *nothing* to do with energy
per se.

Rudolph Clausius saw the two concepts as so nearly similar that
he coined the term "entropy" to emphasize that similarity. Once
one abandons misconceptions the similarity becomes dramatic.

Some
teachers even try to smooth this over by introducing the "flow
of entropy" as a helpful concept!

This would not help any understanding of entropy. Fortunately, I have
not encountered this teaching technique.

Really? It occurs in Zemansky and Dittman and in Carrington. I
haven't surveyed the texts widely, but the former is probably
the most commonly prescribed textbook on thermodynamics in the
English speaking world. Which textbook have you been using?

I apologize for my lack of ability in articulating what is to
me a simple conceptual framework. I do recognize that "reality"
is a property which is properly discussed by metaphysicists
rather than physicists, but I have never been a terribly proper
fellow.

No need to apologize here. If we didn't have different metaphysical
perspectives, we would have a lot less to discuss on this list--even if
is supposed to be for 'just' physics.

I'm not quite so liberal in my metaphysics. I retain such
judgmental ideas as "incorrectness" and "nonsense" in my bag
of attitudes. Comes with hardening of the cerebral arteries,
I guess.

Leigh