Re: heat is a form of energy

>would it be correct to say that heat is a form of energy ?

If one means the Q in the First Law, "heat" is most certainly NOT a form of
energy, if by "energy", one means a body's KE or a system's internal
energy, U, as in the First Law. "Energy" is a property of a system -- like
"blue" or "mass" or "charge". "Heat" is an ACTION imposed on or by a system.

LOOK:

dU (energy over here on the left side) = Q + W (actions over here on the right)

SEE:

Change in a property of the system = Actions DONE to the system

It is really mystifying why these simple concepts can't be understood --
once and for ever.

Or was this question asked just to make me yell at my monitor?

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen