Re: heat is a form of energy

At 08:03 -0700 9/8/99, William Beaty wrote:

On Wed, 8 Sep 1999, David Bowman wrote:

Bill,

I think you may have confused 'phlogiston' with 'caloric'.

That may be true. I'm working from memory, and don't have any references
here about the early history of thermo. If the old "caloric" substance is
about the same as the modern "heat-energy" substance, then I should have
been saying "caloric" instead of "phlogiston".

Besides the delight you might take in confusing the next generation, why
would you advocate the continued use of a misleading nomenclature which
was obsolete two centuries ago? Caloric by any other name is just as
cognitively flawed.

Leigh