Re: weight of a hovering/diving fly in a box

At 12:18 PM 9/6/99 -0400, I wrote a bunch of correct things and one
incorrect thing, namely:

(... the average force on the
scale, averaged over any interval long enough to include the dive *and* the
impact, averages out to the canonical weight of the box+fly....)

That isn't quite right, because the dive changes the center of mass of the
box+fly system. I should have said something like: the average force on the
scale, averaged over any interval long enough to include
* crawling up from point A to point B,
* diving headlong from B to A, and
* impacting at A,
averages out to the canonical weight of the box+fly.

Various stronger statements about the LONG term average remain valid.
These depend on the idea that the center of mass of the box+fly system
cannot move outside the box (or, if you have weird-shaped boxes, not
outside the the convex hull of the box). That puts limits on the amount of
momentum that can be accumulated and hidden inside the box.