Re: weight of a bird in a cage

I'm afraid that Lois's conclusions are worthy of a bigger "Oops!"
than she gives herself credit for.

No doubt. I'm a chemist, not a physicist, you may remember.

It is however unclear how far an average grain needs to fall before
reaching terminal velocity.

But I thought it didn't matter what was falling unless there was
appreciable drag. Guess I'm unclear on terminal velocity. Someone give me
the short version?

Dr. Lois Breur Krause
Department of Geological Sciences
442 Brackett Hall
Clemson University
Clemson SC 29634

krause@clemson.edu
http://home.earthlink.net/~breurkrause

If I had one wish for our nation,
I would wish for a turn about of what we value in a person.
We value athletic prowess, and not intelligence.
We value physical attractiveness, and not beauty of the soul.
We value cunning and wealth, and not honesty and integrity.
These lessons should be taught to our youth.
Instead our schools demand athletic competition of every student,
and denigrate the scholar.
Failing to reward excellence rewards failure. - Dr. L. Breur Krause