Re: Accuracy, etc.--astronomical measurements

At 1:52 PM -0700 9/3/99, David Roberts wrote:

In pre-Sputnik 1955, C.W. Allen in his _Astrophysical Quantities _ gave
masses for the moon, the four Galilean satellites of Jupiter and 15 of the
larger satellites of the outer planets to 2 or 3 sig. fig. In all cases,
wobbles of the primary planet, due to the orbiting satellite, could be
observed.

Msun / Mp
Merc 6023600
Ven 408525.1
Earth 332946.043
Earth + Moon 328900.555
Mars 3098710
Jup 1047.3492
Sat 3497.91
Uran 22902.94
Nep 19434
Pl 13 x 10 e 7

Lang attributes these to J. Myles Standish, Jr. (1988) at JPL. The large
number of sig. fig. quoted reflect the fact that these values depend on
the hundreds or thousands of position and time measurements needed to
establish accurate values of the orbital elements.

to which I responded:

By 1988 all the planets had been visited by spacecraft which made
very accurate mass determinations possible by doppler measurements.
Of course the results of such measurements could be most accurately
expressed in terms of a mass ratio, and the Sun's mass is standard.
I believe that all of them are thought to be more accurate than the
sort of analysis of conventional positional astronomy you suggest,
but I would have to check the literature. My Lang is at home, and
I probably don't have the journal in question (likely Icarus - lost
in our library's budget cutting in 1985) at hand, but I would be
glad to follow it up (in the fullness of time) if you haven't found
it there at Bowdoin by then.

I'm embarassed to say that my Lang is older than Dr. Roberts's; it
is the 1980 edition. Even then Lang points out that the most accurate
value for GM(Earth) (six digits) is found from observations of
artificial satellites, citing Clemence in 1965. He lists the masses
of the Galilean satellites from astronomical observations (in units
of Jupiter's mass) as

Io 0.0000381 +/- 30
Europa 0.0000248 +/- 5
Ganymede 0.0000817 +/- 10
Callisto 0.0000509 +/- 40

While I do recognize the difficulty of making the observations on
which these pre-robot numbers are based, I don't consider them to be
highly precise, and their accuracy is not overwhelming either. The
Galileo values (which I calculated from data scattered through their
web pages, sources and uncertainties not attributed) are:

Io 0.0000471
Europa 0.00002612
Ganymede 0.0000777
Callisto 0.0000568

I do not mean to deprecate observational astronomy in any way. I've
done some myself*, though never any astrometry. Still, I think that
the JPL robot numbers are the best obtainable for data like these.

Leigh

*Photoelectric photometry