Re: energy, work, heat

My take on this is that
0) The vast majority of physicists believe that energy obeys a local
conservation law. That is, the change in total energy within a smallish
volume is equal to the amount of energy transferred across the boundary of
said volume.

Oh my, have we not learned anything re energy on this list???

"Energy " is not "transferred" -- across a boundary or anywhere else.

> 3) The first law of thermo is another corollary to the energy-conservation
law, where the transferred energy has been somewhat arbitrarily divided
into "work", "heat", and "all other forms of energy".

It gets worse! Neither "work" nor "heat" are "forms of energy" -- Good Grief!

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen