Re: Significant figures - a Modest Proposal

On Mon, 30 Aug 1999, Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

We have two kinds of errors, random and systematic. My reaction time,
while using a stopwatch, will create a random error of +/- 0.2 seconds
but a reproducible systematic error will often be much larger, if the
instrument is too slow or too fast. I remember reading somewhere that
the terms precision and accuracy are used to make this distinction. The
term resolution, often used in optics, has to do with the ability of
distinguishing details, for example, in the case of "empty
magnification", or in the case of two nearly overlapping peaks.

If my use of the word "accuracy" is correct (Michael Edmiston used it in
the same way) then what is quoted below is not correct. Precision does
not contribute to the accuracy.

Ludwik Kowalski

Robert Cohen wrote:

...While I'm on the topic, I should mention that I will
be emphasizing the distinction between precision and
resolution and that both contribute to the accuracy of
the measurement ....

Hmmm...let me outline my thinking. Please tell me if I am incorrect in
this. First a little background...

Before this year, I used to separate precision and accuracy. I used
precision to describe the "random" error and accuracy to describe the
"systematic" error. I realized this was simplifying things, but I felt it
was sufficient for the students. Unfortunately, I can't succinctly
describe the problem I had with that approach.

The way I see it, one always gets a measured value that is different from
the predicted value. If we are trying to support/falsify a prediction, it
becomees necessary to identify possible causes for descrepancies between
the measured and predicted values. If we assume the actual value really
was the predicted, then the descrepancy relates to the accuracy of the
measurement.

So here is my thinking...if we are using a very imprecise measurement
technique, then that may be the cause of the descrepancy. Is that
incorrect?

The problem, perhaps, is that averaging many imprecise measurements will
improve the accuracy. Thus, there is not a one-to-one correspondence
between precision and accuracy. They refer to two different things. But
I am not saying that they are the same thing, am I?

Leigh Palmer's quote is included below for reference.