Re: resolution vs. precision

Leigh Palmer wrote:

An almost unrelated curiosity: why do some sources persist in
calling almost any high input impedance DVM a VTVM?

For the same reason we call 4.2 kelvins 4.2 degrees Kelvin, Leigh. The
first high impedance voltmeter most of us ever saw was a VTVM. If I
remember correctly, each of us in my electronics class in 1950 built a
Heathkit VTVM.

Besides, we're not sure that all DVMs have high input impedance, but
we're damn sure all VTVMs did. Of course, if we're specifying a high
impedance voltmeter, we could call for an HIVM; would anyone know what
we meant?.

poj
Collin County College