Innate Perverseness of E-mail Pages

Here's a "Why is it" that some of you may be able to answer.

Why is it that 99.9% of one-page e-mail messages have only one or two lines at
the end that require a second page when printed? These orphans are never message
lines--just the tail end of bloated signatures or, worse, the last lines of
"humorous" quotes that everyone has read at least a dozen times.

I never save e-mail messages to disk. When I read a message that I want to
ponder at greater length, I print it.. But I found long ago that I have to enter
the "print only page 1" command so I won't waste a second page for one or two
lines that I really don't want to save.

Has anyone else noticed this? If you can explain it, maybe we'll name the effect
after you. My Netscape page margins are set to 0.5 inches. I don't know if that
applies to printed pages or just to screen pages.

poj
Collin County College