Re: SI &c., eh?

----- Original Message -----
From: paul o johnson <pojhome@FLASH.NET>

But why not have a single-word famous-name unit of speed or acceleration
or momentum? Our kids are always looking for shorthand names for
everything. With all the famous folks we have whose names are not yet
coopted, why not rid ourselves of jawbreakers such as kilogram-meter
squared/second for angular momentum or confusing dualities such as the
same compound units for torque and work?

Well for one thing, it would all but eliminate unit analysis as a usable
check in problem solving. Bad enough now with force and energy units that
often need to be returned to their fundamental units to check one's algebra.

rick

Richard W. Tarara
Department of Chemistry & Physics
Notre Dame, IN 46556
219-284-4664
rtarara@saintmarys.edu

FREE Physics Educational Software
Available for Download

see: www.saintmarys.edu/~rtarara/ for details

New Win9.x and PoweMac packages available.