Re: SI &c.

Then she said "...and the temperatures! When it's 20
degrees Celsius it's twice as warm as when it's 10 degrees Celsius, but
in Fahrenheit it doesn't work at all!"

I was stuck for an answer.

Leigh

Hmm. Perhaps you could have asked whether 2 degrees Celsius is twice
as warm as 1 degree Celsius.

Of course, the Official SI Unit of Temperature is the kelvin (lower-case,
please, and without "degree" in front). I wonder if the SI zealots who
police journals and textbooks are listening. If so, I challenge them
to banish all temperature measures but kelvin from their everyday
vocabulary.

Leigh: What unit of (barometric) pressure is used in weather reports
up there? (My guess is bars or millibars, like my bicycle tire gauge,
but official SI would require pascals or kilopascals.)

-dan