Re: Significant figures - a Modest Proposal

My practice is *lazy fair* with regard to the sin of excessive
precision. I am content to make sarcastic remarks on students' papers
rather than taking marks off.

Sarcastic remarks, in my experience, merely erode student morale
and convey the impression that you're more interested in condemning
than in teaching. Most students, when they get a test back, are
not in a proper state of mind to appreciate humor.

I never worry about one too many significant figures. Two too many
generally results in a mark-down.

Dan