Re: Significant figures - a Modest Proposal

>I think that learning the concepts of physics is sufficiently difficult
>for students without clouding their minds with somewhat arbitrary
>procedures which will be of no long term use to them. The concepts of
>precision and accuracy, and of uncertainty and error, do need to be
>taught, but they can be deferred until the students have learned some
>science to which to apply them. Let's get rid of this traditional
>dinosaur and see if it helps students learn.
>
>Leigh

I don't know. . . .  is it that hard to teach significant figures?  I spend about 20 minutes teaching my students the rules for significant figures, use them in all example work, and require them to do so as well.  Within a week, they use the rules quite easily.   I think its important in science to use significant figures.  We make measurements which are limited in precision.  This in turn limits the precision of the answer.

If you don't require the use of significant figures, then you'll get decimals with eight places.  Either that or you limit them to three or four numbers -- but this is arbitrary and there is no good reason to do it.  Especially when dealing with data taken during labs.

I teach high school physics and chemistry and physics for the local community college.  The first chemistry meeting we were reviewing powers of ten and scientific notation -- I hadn't gotten to significant figures yet.  One of the students who had been in my high school physics class two years earlier was very uncomfortable with the work  --  "What  about significant figures!"  She was used to doing them and did not like to see a bunch of arbitrary digits that weren't justified (at least to her thinking) up there on the chalk board.

I can't debate the absolute relevance of significant figures -- whether in fact the rules do all that they are supposed to do -- but they are pretty standard in most texts in both chemistry and physics.

I think they are worth doing.

Glenn
Physics Kahuna
Kahuna Physics Institute - on the flapping edge of physics research.