et cetera

As a regular reader of The Physics Teacher, I have scratched my head over more than one of A.A. Bartlett's et cetera... columns. At first, I wondered if the point of the pieces was to highlight  physics mistakes in publications or typos carrying double entendres a la The New Yorker, but I have concluded that their intent to to publicize tidbits that may be of interest to physicists. That said, I still don't understand about half of them.

For example, the item on p. 373 of the recent September issue entitled "Could It Be Designed Any Other Way?" Is there something strange or humorous in this story that is going over my head?

Does anyone else have this problem? Perhaps some of you who enjoy Brother Bartlett's column would explain the two or three entries each month to the rest of us.

poj
Collin County College