Re: The air track experiment

Hi Bob-
I'll try to answer:
I guess I'm still curious as to the meaning of your "I think not ..."
which opened this reply to my "Physics differences" post. Just what is it
that you "think not", and just how were you "bitten three times"?
Jack
*******************************
I didn't keep the message, but "I think no" referred to an assertion
in the quote immediately preceding. Sorry, I don't recall the quote.
"Bitten three times" refers to three Phys Rev papers regarding
experimental results that were later retracted (sorry, I mean Phys Rev
Letters): Tubis and Uretsky (about '61) on the "ABC effect", Arnold
and Uretsky (about '70) on split peaks of the A2 meson, and the Soudan
Group ('5 or so) on muons from Cygnus X3 (never formally retracted, but
never very convincing)
Should read "Soudan Group ('85 or so)".
Regards,
Jack

"These several facts prove nothing, for one cannot deduce a principle from so
few examples, but they do at least indicate that the ability to learn to spell
correctly is a gift; that it is born in a person, and that it is a sign of
intellectual inferiority. By parity of reasoning, its absence is a sign of
great mental power."
Mark Twain, "Extract from Eve's Diary'.