Re: style

Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

While I much prefer to see postings which are correct in grammar, spelling, and punctuation, this is not a medium which always permits the author to fix such errors.

I think I disagree, Ludwik. My Netscape Communicator 4.51 checks all outgoing messages for spelling and punctuation, and maybe grammar for all I know. I have often been chastised for making fun of college professors who post messages containing poor English, but I contend that it is part of our job to teach our students how to communicate. Their bosses and customers will expect it of them when they get out on the job.

God knows I would make a poor English teacher, but I see no reason why physics teachers should not try to show their students and their peers how to write an intelligent note or paper. As scientists, we should strive for accuracy and unambiguousness in our communication. If we continue to let adult poor spellers off the hook because we don't want to embarrass them, I believe our ability to express ourselves accurately, as well as our language, will go to hell.

poj
Collin County College