Re: Evolution/Theory

At 02:09 AM 21/08/99 -0400, Stefan Jeglinski wrote:

>Frankly, I think evolution -is- a theory. Creationists will attack
>this as a weak point, but I would disagree. Consider some analogies,
>playing fast and loose with the precise details:

The point I was trying to make, obviously not well, was that when doing science, one has observations which leads to a theory which attempts to make sense of the observations.

So we have this huge amount of data that tells us that life has indeed changed over time.  We call this succession "evolution".  Scientists then develop theories that, they hope, explain the process.  So there are many theories of evolution, and they can and should be debated.  That evolution itself happened is pretty much accepted as fact, the why is the rub.

Glenn
Physics Kahuna
Kahuna Physics Institute - on the flapping edge of physics research.