Re: Evolution and Creationism

...some words from our presidential candidates on evolution:

Message 75/370 From What's New Aug 20, 99 07:36:39 pm -0400

Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 19:36:39 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: What's New for Aug 20, 1999
To: danmac@NAU.EDU

WHAT'S NEW Robert L. Park Friday, 20 Aug 99 Washington, DC

1. EVOLUTION I: DARWIN RUNS DEAD LAST IN THE IOWA STRAW POLL.
The timing of the school board decision to eliminate evolution
from the curriculum in Kansas made it inevitable that candidates
in the Iowa dollars-for-democracy exercise would be asked about
their views. They all came out boldly for leaving it up to local
school boards, but some went a bit further. Bush: "I believe
children should be exposed to different theories about how the
world started." Forbes: "In terms of evolution, there's a huge
debate now." Dole: "I'm a person of strong faith--we must restore
discipline to our schools." Bauer: "I personally believe my
children were not descended from apes, that they were in fact
created by God... There is a growing body of scientific evidence
for a Devine intervention that created man." Quayle: "Absolutely,
I do [believe in creation]. Sure." Lamar Alexander is waiting
for a reporter to ask him a question. Both Gore and Bradley also
ducked behind local control, but Bradley's office added that if
he lived in Kansas he wouldn't support the board's action.

2. EVOLUTION II: DARWIN POLLS BADLY WITH AMERICANS. A Gallup
poll found that nearly half of American adults say they believe
in a literal biblical interpretation of creation, and only about
one in ten subscribe to a purely scientific interpretation of
evolution. Americans are about five times as likely to take the
Bible literally as people in England. However, people tend to
keep religious views separate. Asked about the age of the Earth
in a non-religious context, they might respond very differently.

..

Dan M

Dan MacIsaac, Assistant Professor of Physics and Astronomy, Northern AZ Univ
danmac@nau.edu http://purcell.phy.nau.edu PHYS-L list owner