Re: Evolution and Creationism

At 10:02 AM 8/20/99 +0100, you wrote:
1)
... The sun contains most of the mass, but only 2% of the
angular momentum of the solar system. If the solar system
had condensed from a gas cloud, most of its angular
momentum would be in the sun.

What's the effect of having a gas cloud implode to a star, and in the
ignition process, spew out new material that became the planets? This
would be in line with the relative ages, wouldn't it?

3)
The rotation of the Earth has been slowing at a rate of 30 seconds
per century. If the Earth were billions of years old, the rotation rate
at the outset would have been so great that the planet could not have
held together, much less support life.

...makes no limits on the possiblities that perhaps (and remember, this is
an idle thought, NOT a firm stance, said he with an eye for his possible
career) those great old rocks that we found came from life that was maybe
on the asteroids and fell to earth. Or maybe there's an high order term to
the decay, so that as we slow down, we decellerate more quickly. Or maybe
we had the process accelerated by an impacting comet.

The rate of decay in the geomagnetic field sets an outside limit of
10,000 years for the age of the earth.

I have this recollection of the geomagnetic field reversing itself on about
this time scale. I'll have to check...

-G-
Gordon Smith
National Center for Physical Acoustics