Re: Evolution and Creationism

Then there was a reply (I lost the name) that raised two questions:

"Do you just teach it properly anyway?"

"And do you ever... make any progress?"

That would be me, sir. My only response to your tirade is that I have
met several creationists, since my sister is a born-again Christian,
and have had the acquaintance of a large number of scientists, since
my degree is in Physics, and I can confidently say that none of those
creationists I've met have much idea of what science is and they
don't care. They want religion in schools (and none of that Allah
crap either), and at best still enjoy arguing discredited arguments
regarding human footprints with dinosaurs and that life is a
violation of the second law of thermo. But aside from their sheer
ignorance of science and clinging to the words of Duane Gish as if he
was a deity, they are more interested in flat out telling me that
because I don't believe in God, I can't really understand creationism
and its superiority over evolution. And that I'm not a good
scientist. Oh, and that I'll go to hell.

To them I do not attack their emotional beliefs. I try to explain
science (properly). And I never make progress. Their attention span
could never hope to last for even half the ongoing thread here
regarding the physics of flight: too little mention of god. And as a
result of my experience, and yes, considering some of the claims
made, I -stridently- believe that even more than my 2 questions
should be raised about the validity of creationism and its minor army
of muhajadeen.

On the other hand, the scientists I have had the acquaintance of
usually go way out of their way in search of truth. The spirited
discussion on this list is a good example of this. We're (scientists)
actually deep down desperately worried about being wrong. The
creationists I've met would be much more worried about how they could
get a word in edgewise about god. And you can be damn sure that what
happened in Kansas was not about the advancement of science. It is
about getting a christian-only god in public school.

And now apologies to the list, as I shant dignify this discussion any
more. I'm still trying to figure out how inertial my frame of
reference is.

Stefan Jeglinski