Re: is free-fall an inertial frame?

Lois Breur Krause asks:
... (i'm a chemist and an educator, not a physicist) but without
air or visual clues you would have no sensation of falling?

* * * *

The sensation you would have would be the sensation of weightlessness.

Furthermore, don't we typically describe astronauts in orbit as being
in continuous free fall, and therefore experiencing apparent
weightlessness. And haven't we watched the astronauts demonstrating
Newton's laws in telecasts from Skylab?

Doesn't that pretty much show that experiments conducted aboard Skylab
appear the same as experiments conducted on earth (i.e. in a frame that
is almost inertial). Yes there are some very tricky experiments that
can be done that would prove both Skylab and my lab as not quite
inertial... but to three-digit accuracy (or more) inside Skylab is
going to look very inertial... and that's a free fall.

Bluffton College
280 West College Avenue
Bluffton, OH 45817