Re: Physics of Flight

Engineers involved with evaluation and performance testing use
the word 'stability' in a technical sense - so that a plane
may be flying straight and level, stable in your sense, while the poor
pilot is stirring the pot in high gain-bandwidth to keep the attitude
level.
By contrast, an engineer may call for various static and dynamic stability
tests, where for example a test engineer-pilot trims to a given airspeed
straight and level, then pulls back on the stick for a 10 kt reduction and
releases the stick.
This is one measure of a particular stability margin - that the plane
describes a convergent oscillation onto the former airspeed.

I expect that you will not be surprised to find there are twenty stability
derivatives involved in the longitudinal stability of an airplane, using
various simplifying assumptions of a perturbed steady state model.

Brian Whatcott