Re: To hover, a reaction-motor pushes on the earth?

At 02:02 AM 8/18/99 -0700, William Beaty wrote:
On Sat, 14 Aug 1999, John Denker wrote:
billb wrote:
How can any aircraft remain suspended above the ground (or
remain in level flight)?

It can either push upon the earth, or it can employ action/reaction in the
way a rocket does. A helium balloon pushes indirectly upon the earth. So
does an aircraft in "ground effect" flight.

/jsd/ So does *everything*.
/jsd/ Gravity is a force between the earth and the aircraft;
/jsd/ the only way to counteract it is a force (indirect or otherwise)
/jsd/ between earth and aircraft.
/jsd/ The only question is how indirect it is going to be.

Everything flys by pushing against the earth? I strongly disagree.

I stand by my assertion that in a closed system, the wing pushes indirectly
against the earth. The only question is how indirect it is going to be.
My assertion is a simple consequence of Newton's laws. If we can't agree
on this, we have nothing further to say to each other.

Another point. Whenever a rocket hovers near a massive object, there is
no requirement that the rocket's exhaust strikes the object.

In a closed system there is.

This thread started as a discussion of aircraft. The analogies to
deep-space rocketry are misleading.

I believe that the controversy between the "Bernoulli-ist" and the
"Newtonist" explanations of flight definitely revolve around the above
concepts.

This is crazy. Bernoulli's principle is consistent with, and indeed a
consequence of, Newton's laws. How could there possibly be a conflict
between them?