Lost Lab Period

Well, it's finally happened. The administration--to solve impossible
scheduling problems and over strenuous objections from the science
department--eliminated our science lab period this year. Instead of six
45-minute periods per week we now have five 50-minute periods. We lose
(can you do the math?) 20 minutes per week and our separate lab period.

We had a department meeting today and talked about identifying key
concepts, adding more short, hands-on activities, and making more
efficient use of lab time.

I'm wondering how others have adapted to a similar switch or what advice
some of you might have for us (short of going elsewhere).

Dave

--
David A. Simmons
St. John's Jesuit High School