Making Contact with Pioneers

At 12:40 8/14/99 -0400, John Denker wrote:
... control of
turns in low powered aircraft was discussed in descriptions of the
wonderful man-powered aircraft development story.

.... I was
hoping you could provide some details and/or a reference.

John's question gives me a splendid opportunity to ride one of
my hobby-horses. I advocate contacting one's heroes while they
are still around. In an aviation context, I count the Flyer,
the 747, the Voyager and the Condor as among the greatest of
man's achievements.

Though the Wrights are long gone, we can at least cast an eye
over the Flyer, thanks to the generosity of the British people,
who returned it from its long stay at the Science Museum, London.

And, sad to say, I cannot point out the many individuals who took
part in the creation of one of Boeing's (and the World's) very best:
the 747. Modern business has a way of anonymizing individual
contributions.

But it is pleasing to mention that the Voyager's creator is still
alive and kicking. Voyager is responsible for the only unrefueled
airborne circumnavigation of the Earth, you will recall.
Receiving a reassuring note from Burt after
his hospital trip a year or two ago was a touching moment.

As to Paul: I can report that there is an individual with that
name in the phone book at Culver City, but it would be more
propitious in my view to reach someone at his company, AeroVironment
at Simi Valley. Perhaps Michael Buffoni who takes care of their LANs
might negotiate a contact. Micheal often shows on newsgroups in his
technical area using email address buffoni@aerovironment.com.

It is certain that AeroVironment sponsored Carlos Miralles to talk
to students at a recent alternative power gathering.

Take a look at one of Paul's earlier creations, the Penguin:
http://www.dfrc.nasa.gov/gallery/photo/Albatross/Small/ECN-13413.jpg

As you may know he went on to stage a world altitude record RPV flight
from the Hawaiian Islands, and mount a winning solar-powered race
vehicle across Australia among other exploits. I imagine that McCready
could be pursuaded to respond to an educator's request for information
on the wing-warp control parallels between the Flyer and the Condor.
This could be a memorable experience.

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK