Re: electron, proton size

At 11:06 8/14/99 -0400, John Denker wrote:
... We typically subtract off the long-range force
and use the word "size" to refer to some short-range force that turns on
when the test particle "hits" the main object.

I tend to think of this approach as unhelpful, though intellectually
interesting.
One modality of measuring size on the atomic scale is also conceptually
simple - it is the approach used by the blind person, who taps a stick to
outline the object.

It was a triumph to construct a probe with a sharp point and tie
the z axis servo to the electrical effect of moving the point too
close to a surface, while the x and y axis servos scan the surface.

It was this approach that visualized a logo drawn in individual
heavy atoms.

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK