Re: energy etc. +- precise language

At 09:44 8/14/99 +0100, Ludwik wrote:
You and Bill persuaded me not to be as pedantic as Jim.
Jim is correct in saying that energy is a property, not a
substance. But sometimes it is useful to think about it as
it were a "stuff".

John Denker wrote:

In in a real physics lab, people talk about
*) The amount of water in a sponge;
*) The amount of energy in a flywheel....
You say that energy is not a substance. So what? ...

Pedantry has its place in the teacher's armamentarium.
I recall the tautology, "You only get one chance to make a
good first impression."

Perhaps a down to earth illustration will help.
My 16 year old son was worried about a squeak emanating from
the front wheels of his pickup. He urged me to take a look.

So I jacked the wheel AND placed a wheel stand.
I pointed out the pressure control on the impact wrench before
removing the wheel nuts. I pointed out the small remaining
thickness of the brake pads (customarily described as 6000
miles worth) and showed how to replace them.

But then, I wire brushed the suspension grease nipples, wiped
them with a shop rag, carefully demonstrated that the grease gun
connector must not be draped in grit and showed how to grease the
suspension. He repeated the process correctly on the other side.

Now I am absolutely clear that in REAL oil change and grease up
shops, this level of attention to detail is quite unknown, but I
still feel good. Richard can start out knowing the steps which
may often be elided in a REAL service station.

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK