Re: [Fwd: The Scout Report -- August 13, 1999 -- HTML Version] (fwd)

...well, the biology education folk have a croiss to bear as well,
unfortunately.

Colleagues,

I'm confident that you have heard this in the news, but here
are some convenient ways to learn more.

-Steve

Scout Project wrote:

> The Evolution of Science Curriculum
> The New York Times: Kansas Votes to Delete
> Evolution From State's Science Curriculum
> http://www.nytimes.com/library/national/0
> 1299kan-evolution-edu.html
> The Wichita Eagle: Evolution gets boot, 6-4,
> from State BOE
> http://www.wic
> itaeagle.com/news/local/learning/docs/evolution0812_txt.htm
>
> The Creation Research Society
> http://www.creationresearch.org/
> National Center for Science Education, Inc
> http://www.natcenscied.org/
> Scopes Trial Home Page
> http://www.law.umkc.ed
> /faculty/projects/ftrials/scopes/scopes.htm
> A vote by the Kansas Board of Education on
> Wednesday will change the way science is taught
> in the sunflower state. The decision, to
> virtually do away with any mention of evolution
> from the school curriculum, is a huge victory
> for those espousing creationism. The fact that
> theories of evolution will not be included in
> state assessment tests may also discourage
> teachers from including material on evolution in
> their science classes. The New York Times
> article offers basic information about the
> decision and the opportunity to join a "religion
> in the schools" forum hosted by The Times. The
> Wichita Eagle article gives more local coverage
> of the story with some colorful quotes from
> board members. Two sites which provide
> background information from both perspectives of
> this debate are The Creation Research Society
> and the National Center for Science Education,
> Inc. For a historical look at the issue, a great
> site based out of the University of
> Missouri-Kansas City Law school has done a
> wonderful job covering the famous "monkey trial"
> of 1925, in which John Scopes, a Dayton, Ohio
> high school biology teacher was charged with
> illegally teaching the theory of evolution.

John Scopes MIGHT have been from Dayton, Ohio but he was
CONVICTED of violating the TENNESSEE ban on evolution in schools. The
law was still on the books when I went thru the Tennessee schools in
the '60's.

And it ain't JUST biological evolution that that the Kansas folk are
banning. Any mention of the Big Bang cosmology has ALSO been removed
from the curriculum.
(Any school can choose to to continue teaching either of these
'heresies' but the standardized testing will skip them.)

britton@odie.ncssm.edu you have forgotten everything
(919) 286-3366 x224 Albert Einstein, 1936