Re: 2 million teachers in 2007!

Joe wrote
I am thoroughly sold on
Lillian's work and her text Physics by Inquiry for teaching eled majors
and inservice teachers, and as a first course for secondary ed majors in
math and science...I gotta tell you, its a work of art...I know there is
not silver bullet, but this thing is damn close....or at least that is
how I see it.

Yes, well written, Joe. I've used it too for both those groups (I'm
still called on in retirement to do work with them).
Because it is thorough, it is slow moving. If you are impelled by
curriculum demands to cover this and that and the other, there will be
problems of how to fit it all in. If so, rebel against the
curriculum, insist that understanding and not breadth of coverage is
important. Unless these teachers master some fundamental physics and
"own" the material they will have neither the ability nor the
confidence to teach it.
Brian McInnes