Re: 2 million teachers in 2007!

How many science courses must one take to gain k-5 or k-8 or whatever that
certification is? Remember, these teachers must learn how to teach reading,
writing, math, history, health, etc. There really isn't much time left to
really learn science.

Sam

In AZ, 6-9 (Middle School) is considered secondary certification. Primary
cert programs require 2 lab science courses for elementary teachers; these
are overwhelmingly BIO100 and ENV101 here at NAU. These classes are huge,
and money makers for the respective depts. A few el ed students take
GLG1xx, fewer a CHM1xx and rarest of all, we have <3 / semester who take
a PHS1xx or PHY1xx course, usually our Conceptual Physics from Hewitt.

We have just instituted a PHS101 (physical science for el ed) based on the
AAPT/NSF Powerful Ideas in Physical Science package that will run for the
first time this fall. Stay tuned.

Dan M

Dan MacIsaac, Assistant Professor of Physics and Astronomy, Northern AZ Univ
danmac@nau.edu http://purcell.phy.nau.edu PHYS-L list owner