Teaching E&M before Mechanics

Fellow Educators,

At our high school, we offer both a "Conceptual Physics" course, using
Hewitt's book, in 9th grade (required) and an AP Physics course in 11th/12th
grade (optional).

We are exploring the possibility of changing the sequence of the 9th grade
course: teaching Optics and E&M before mechanics.

I would appreciate hearing from those who have tried this before.
Can it work well?
What are the pros & cons?
What are some of the potential pitfalls?
What sequence of topics do you recommend?

Thanks in advance,

Owen von Kugelgen
Physics Teacher/Science Department Chair
The Head-Royce School
Oakland, CA
kugelgen@aol.com