Re: Misconceptions: Physics of Flight

In fact the upper parcel of air reaches the trailing edge BEFORE the
slower,, lower side parcel does. (Thus making the Bernoulli equation
even MORE effective in mathematicizing the lift.)

I suppose that having the two parcels NOT come back together is what
gives rise to the vortex creation??

Hi romanza-
Since the air flowing over the top is moving faster, any given parcel
of air will travel further than air that is moving more slowly. There is
nothing wrong with this explanation. Where Anderson and Eberhardt take
exception, is the statement that the fast moving air parcel must arrive
at the trailing edge "at the same time as" the parcels flowing along
the bottom of the wing. That statement is quantitatively incorrect, but that,
in my opinion, is just a fine point for pedants.

britton@odie.ncssm.edu you have forgotten everything
(919) 286-3366 x224 Albert Einstein, 1936