Re: Energy, etc

I think that somebody who is actively
trying to improve our energy related vocabulary would be much
more effective (in terms of influencing more teachers) by publishing
an introductory physics textbook. Such text would demonstrate
that better words can be used consistently. It would not be an easy
task to turn this suggestion into reality, but it is worth trying.

OK, for my course in Physical Science 108, one semester to cover the basics
in chemistry and physics with elementary ed majors, i'm currently using
Chang Essentials of Chemistry, which I'm reasonably comfortable with, and
Hecht's Physics, Alg/trig, which is way above the level of my students.
Can y'all recommend a text for the physics portion of the semester that is
an appropriate level and fundamentally sound? I can get these kids through
about first year algebra level math with some difficulty.

They do OK where they can memorize and plug and play equations, but I
insist they be able to solve new problems and understand the concepts at
the evaluation level of Bloom's taxonomy. Memorization doesn't cut it with
me.

Dr. Lois Breur Krause
Department of Geological Sciences
442 Brackett Hall
Clemson University
Clemson SC 29634

teaching chemistry, physics, astronomy and geology to elementary education
majors.

How We Learn and Why We Don't: Student Survival Guide,
available from International Thompson Publishing, ISBN 0324-011970

http://home.earthlink.net/~breurkrause

krause@clemson.edu