Re: Energy, etc (fwd)

I agree with Jim. What about the "magnitude of energy" instead
of "level of energy"? Yes, to say "the amount of energy" is a
trap promoting the "substance-like" interpretations.

Jim Green wrote:

Do we have enough time to go through these steps in teaching
elementary physics?

Can we allow for misconception of "you cannot subract larger nos. from
smaller ones"-type in teaching physics, or do we put in the "imaginary
nos." right away?

These questions mystify me. There is no simpler way to discuss the concept
of "energy" than to say it correctly. _Instructors_ would have to learn
the correct concepts - and that seems to be almost insurmountable, but
students have no trouble in learning the correct concepts: the level of
energy of a system can be increased or decreased by doing work but energy
does not "flow".

Would somebody explain to me just why that is so conceptually difficult?

Just use correct language; the students (of any age or stage) will have no
difficulty what so ever. Well maybe one would have to explain that in the
comics they usually say it incorrectly.