Re: coriolis situation

Michael Moloney wrote:

An early version of J. B. Marion's mechanics book claims
the British around 1915 had their coriolis naval gun corrections
set for the northern hemisphere only. ...

Who was Coriolis and how did he arrive to the effect named
after him? Was he an artillery man or a pure scientist? How
long did it take to translate scientific findings into a practical
military application in those days? I will look for answers in
the library but perhaps somebody already knows them.
Please share what you know; telling stories is part of our
job.