Re: Coriolis

On Mon, 9 Aug 1999, Roger Haar wrote:

Ludwik,
I think that beside a clear explaination, a clear
description of what the Coriolis effect is. There are good
videos on this. (I first really understood the effect in an
intro meteorology class.) The video is something like
this. Two people are facing each other on opposite sides of
a turntable, merry-go-round or whatever. These two are
trying to throw a ball back and forth. A camera is above the
center of the turntable. IF it is fixed to the ground the
ball goes appears to go straight and the catcher moves away
from the ball. If the camera is fixed to the turntable, the
ball curves away from the catcher.
Once it is clear what the effect is, and how it is
reference frame dependent, the theory is easier.

Just a word of caution: Two forces are acting on the ball, coriolis and
centrifugal. The example of a ball thrown on a merry-go-round does not
illustrate the effect of the Coriolis force alone. I say this not to
criticize Roger's example but because such a distinction wasn't clear in
my mind the first time I saw this example and it hunted me for a quite
some time.

| Robert Cohen Department of Physics |
| East Stroudsburg University |
| bbq@esu.edu East Stroudsburg, PA 18301 |