Re: Coriolis

I just tried to simulate the Coriolis effect with Interactive
Physics and came to a conclusion that this is not possible
in its two-dimensional universe. Am I correct?

I did produce a round platform turned by a motor with a
desired speed (seen from above). But placing an abject
on its surface was not possible. The error message was
"body[1] and body [2] are overlapping beyond the
specified tolerence".

Brian's suggestion (see below) of asking kids to
discuss experiences is great but where do you find a
mary-go-round without wooden horses? Any suggestion
on how to improvise one in a large room?
Ludwik Kowalski

I add to the theoretical approach an appeal to the experience
the students may well have had in walking across a rotation
platform (what we here call a merry-go-round and I think
you call a carousel - or does a carousel have to have wooden
horses on it?). If they have spent all their time in front of a
television set and not in a playground, then I get them to try
it out, walking radially in or out and also tangentially and
intermediate directions. It is probably a good idea to get all
of them to do this to refresh their memories and help them
participate in the discussions. Get them talking about it.
They soon identify the frictional forces on their feet. Get
then discussing whether or not there is an unbalanced net
force on them and, if there is, why they are not accelerated.

Roger Haar wrote:

I think that beside a clear explaination, a clear
description of what the Coriolis effect is. There are good
videos on this. (I first really understood the effect in an
intro meteorology class.) The video is something like
this. Two people are facing each other on opposite sides of
a turntable, merry-go-round or whatever. These two are
trying to throw a ball back and forth. A camera is above the
center of the turntable. IF it is fixed to the ground the
ball goes appears to go straight and the catcher moves away
from the ball. If the camera is fixed to the turntable, the
ball curves away from the catcher.
Once it is clear what the effect is, and how it is
reference frame dependent, the theory is easier.