Re: Ampere's law applied

Leigh Palmer asked:

I haven't heard a thing about the use of this method since
my visit to that lab. Does anyone else know about it?

Yes, I saw methods of measuring HV through the
effect of E on light the in several fiber optics books.

And I am currently participating in an experiment at
BNL in which picosecond pulses (we are trying to
measure durations) are observed when light, in a
fiber optics loop) is modulated by the electric field
produced by groups of electrons. Modulation is
likely to be due to Pockel's and Kerr's effects
rather than the Faraday effect.

It is an interesting arrangement. Electrons which are
accelerated, come from a photocathode irradiated by
ultrashort UV (about 10 ps) pulses from a powerful
laser. They become ultrarelativistic and E is strongly
magnified in the laboratory frame of reference.