Re: "simple" pendulum

In the beginning, I thought I might be able to imagine two reference
frames, one in which a simple pendulum looks like a simple pendulum,
and the other in which it looks like a conical pendulum, or vice-versa.
But upon more thinking, sketching, visualizing, etc. I am unable to
imagine this. In the meantime my mathematical and experimental
analyses have shown these are different physical systems, and I do not
believe it is possible to find the reference frames mentioned above.

For example, if the amplitude dependence of a simple pendulum is an
increasing period with increasing angle, and the amplitude dependence
of a conical pendulum is a decreasing period with increasing angle, I
don't see how any choice of reference frame could make these congruent.

But beyond that, I can't even picture the frames that would make one
look like the other. Let's start with a simple pendulum swinging as a
simple pendulum in my physics lab. Can anyone describe what frame I
would have to be in such that I would view this as a conical pendulum?
I assume it would have to be a rotating frame, but I cannot imagine
any axis of rotation, nor where I would locate myself in that frame,
such that this simple pendulum would appear conical.

Bluffton College
280 West College Avenue
Bluffton, OH 45817