Displacements

On Thu, 5 Aug 1999, DEVARAKONDA VENKATA NARAYANA SARMA wrote:

Have you cosidered force acting on the hand due to the
wall as a function of time and can we be sure that there is no
displacement of the hand during this interval. Interaction always
involves finite intervals and in such a finite interval there is
always displacement.
Decades ago, as a freshman in physics, I asked the instructor how the
floor could possibly 'know' precisely how much force to exert against my
foot so that I neither sank into into the floor or nor was repelled above
it. Of course, I was mocked and ridiculed for the stupidity of the
question.
It wasn't until I was in a senior level quantum chemistry course, where
I encountered force constants for vibrations of bonds, that I evolved the
picture of a solid as a three dimensional lattice of interconnected
springs, like an old camp cot but in 3-d.
I am confident there are displacements .. but of the order of fractions
of nm .. more like lattice deformations.

John N. Cooper, Chemistry
Bucknell University
Lewisburg PA 17837-2005
jcooper@bucknell.edu