Re: refutation of the nonreality of energy

Well, here it is. I hope someone is still reading me. Sometimes I
don't think I'm getting through.

At 03:22 -0700 8/3/99, John Denker wrote:

At 09:53 PM 8/2/99 -0700, Leigh Palmer wrote:
in my rational realist philosophy,
[the system has]
the property of reality, objective reality if you will. The system
exists independently of whether or not it is being observed, and
all observers can agree upon its extent and boundaries.

OK.

The energy of this system has no objective reality whatever. It is
an abstraction, a quantity which has meaning and utility only when
one defines a frame of reference in which to reckon it. Different
observers may ascribe to the system different energies. Observers
in noninertial frames may even find that the system's energy
varies with time!

I will point out that the size and duration of the system are,
likewise, abstractions.

It seems there's been a swtich from "rational realism" to some sort of
Platonism. This passage attempts to make a very subtle distinction between
"extent and boundaries" which exist and "size and duration" which are only
abstractions. To me, "extent" and "size" are synonymous for all practical
purposes.

"From the back fence to the lakeshore" is an extent. The back fence
and the lakeshore are boundaries. "The distance from the back fence
to the lakeshore" is an abstraction. It can only be determined by
application of an operational definition which, when applied, turns
out to have a value which depends on frame of reference. This
dependence merely emphasizes the nonreality of distance, but it
would be unreal even if it were observer independent.

I do recognize the distinction between vectors (which exist independent of
coordinate frames) and the *components* of vectors (which depend on the
choice of frame). In the non-relativistic limit energy exists by itself
and is conserved by itself; in general it is part of a vector which is
conserved and which exists independent of frame.

A red herring, but we've covered that.

Try to stop thinking of energy as being concrete. It is abstract
and will always be so.

Energy is as real as distance. Indeed, in a gravitational field, a
measurement of height is a measurement of energy. Most people agree that
stones are real. But the law of conservation of energy is stronger than
the law of conservation of stones.

Energy is exactly as unreal as distance. Neither has a reality which
is independent of definition, or which exists independent of a system.

And if you doubt the reality of stones, I refer you to Johnson via Boswell:

% After we came out of the church, we stood talking for some
% time together of Bishop Berkeley's ingenious sophistry to
% prove the nonexistence of matter, and that every thing in the
% universe is merely ideal. I observed, that though we are
% satisfied his doctrine is not true, it is impossible to refute it. I
% never shall forget the alacrity with which Johnson answered,
% striking his foot with mighty force against a large stone, till he
% rebounded from it -- "I refute it thus."

If you succeed in kicking energy I shall be very surprised.

The typical person has more experience with stones than with pure energy,
but that doesn't make one more real than the other. Have you ever tried to
land a plane, starting with too much energy? A pilot's inventory of energy
is as real and as important as a mason's inventory of stones.

Please tell me, what is "pure energy"? That is an entity with which
I am unacquainted, and which I believe does not exist. Can you tell
me how to prepare pure energy? If that can be done I will be most
surprised!